The Lexi Rudnitsky/Editor's Choice Award is an annual collaboration between Persea Books and The Lexi Rudnitsky Poetry Project. It is open to any American poet who has previously published at least one full-length book of poems. The winner receives an advance of $1,000.00, publication of his/her collection by Persea, and the option of an all-expenses-paid residency at the Anderson Center, a renowned artists' colony in Red Wing, Minnesota.
• Submitted manuscripts should include two title pages: one containing the author's name, the author's contact information, and the title of the collection; and another containing only the title of the collection.
• Submitted manuscripts be at least 40 pages. They should be paginated, with the title of the collection included on each page as a header or footer, and fastened with a clip. Please do not staple or permanently bind submissions.
• Submissions must include a page listing previous book publications. They may also include a page of magazine/journal publication credits. However, they should not include other sorts of acknowledgments or thank-yous.
• Submissions must be primarily in English to be considered. New & Selected Poems, Collected Poems, and translations are not eligible.
• For the purposes of this contest, a previously published full-length book of poems is defined as a volume of more than 40 pages, in an edition of 500 or more copies, that has been made readily available through trade distribution (i.e. local and/or on-line booksellers, including Amazon.com).
• Entries must be postmarked between January 1st and March 1st (NB: the postmark deadline for 2013 is extended to March 11th, provided that entries are sent via USPS Priority Mail!) They should be sent to The Lexi Rudnitsky/Editor's Choice Award, c/o Persea Books, PO Box 1388, Columbia, MO 65205, and should include a check (in U.S. funds) in the amount of $25.00, made payable to the order of The Lexi Rudnitsky Poetry Project. Please do not send submissions to Persea’s New York City office or make checks out to Persea Books.
NB: No one who has been a graduate student or faculty member in the English Department at the University of Missouri (Columbia) since 2008 is eligible for this award.
The winner of the Lexi Rudnitsky/Editor's Choice Award is chosen by Persea's poetry editor in consultation with the Lexi Rudnitsky/Editor's Choice Advisory Committee of the Lexi Rudnitsky Poetry Project. The winner will be announced on Persea's web site in April. Submitted manuscripts will not be returned.